I am a buoyancy expert
As some of the few people on the planet lucky enough to see the underwater world up close it is up to us to encourage responsible behavior both on dives and on the surface by modelling these good behaviors ourselves.
This can mean ensuring we have perfect underwater buoyancy in order to help protect delicate ecosystems. Marine life is often far more fragile than we imagine which makes good buoyancy control critical every time you dive. Even one bump from a fin or brush of a hand can destroy decades of coral growth or cause harm to a plant or animal. Additionally, excellent buoyancy uses less air which in turn allows you more bottom time – something we all love!
But gliding effortlessly through the water, perfectly neutral and in control can be tricky, which is why PADI developed the Peak Performance Buoyancy class to help speed up your ability to maintain excellent buoyancy on every dive. Given the importance of good buoyancy both for you and our underwater ecosystem, we encourage every new diver to take this class and then log as much dive time as possible as buoyancy expertise really comes with practice, practice, practice.
I am a role model
As a diver, you see firsthand the results of carelessness and neglect underwater. Set a good example in your own interactions so that others can learn from you. As a Project AWARE role models, we:
- Proactively care for the aquatic environment
- Passively interact with underwater environments and animals
- Indirectly teach and inspire others to conserve and respect the ocean and its inhabitants.
Some examples of these behaviors might include things like:
- Taking the PADI Project AWARE Course
- Taking extra care while taking photos or video underwater
- Never touching marine wildlife
- Using tools like the Green Fins member guide to find dive shops and boats that encourage role model behavior in their staff and guests
- Speaking about the importance of awareness both on land and underwater at a local school or community group
- Making good ecological choices whenever you can both while diving and in everyday life, such as picking up trash and disposing of it properly
Take the first step today to become a more AWARE diver by taking the Project AWARE 10 Tips Pledge.