In celebration of the ocean, the second annual AWARE Week is taking place around the world September 14-22, 2019. Aimed at empowering more divers to look after the underwater world, a full week of conservation activities and actions will take place.
Blue Planet has teamed up with Project AWARE and PADI to host a week full of activities for divers and other ocean-lovers in DC. From AWARE courses focused on tackling ocean pollution, to creating awareness for vulnerable shark and ray species, to empowering local communities to take positive actions for the protection of fragile aquatic environments, all are welcome — fins on and fins off.
Check out the schedule below and sign up for an event today!
Friday-Sunday, September 13-15
Wreck Diving in North Carolina — Earn the Fish ID or AWARE Shark Conservation Diver specialties! (FULL)
Tuesday, September 17
Project AWARE Specialty — Bring a friend for free!
Thursday, September 19
AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Specialty — Bring a friend for free!
Saturday-Wednesday, September 21-25
Coral Restoration trip to the Florida Keys — Earn the Coral Restoration Distinctive Specialty, Fish ID and AWARE Shark Conservation Diver!
Saturday, September 21
International Coastal Cleanup: Dive Against Debris @ Sandy Point State Park
Sunday, September 22
International Coastal Cleanup @ Rock Creek Park
Here are 4 reasons you should join us for this event…
1) It’s the International Coastal Cleanup day! Join thousands of volunteers around the world and keep our seas trash-free.
2) It’s AWARE Week! All week long we’ll be hosting events for divers who want to protect our oceans.
3) Earn a specialty! Help clean up the Chesapeake and Sandy Point State Park and earn a specialty certification while you’re at it. Let us know if you are interested in the Dive Against Debris Specialty and getting one step closer to your Master Scuba Diver rating.
4) Non-divers are welcome too! Your friends and family can help pick up trash along the shore while we search underwater.
When: Saturday, September 21, 2019 starting at 8:00 AM
Where: Sandy Point State Park, 1100 East College Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21409
We can do a picnic brunch on the beach following the dive, or head into downtown Annapolis. Carpooling is recommended! We’ll put together a ride list once people have signed up.
RSVP: Send us an email to let us know you’re interested. Space is limited, so don’t wait!
Do you want to stay down longer and enjoy the surroundings? Dive computers enable you to do that and should be at the top of every beginner or advanced diver’s list! Whether you’re picking out your first computer or you’re ready to replace your old one, this is a great opportunity to learn about key features, latest advancements and answer the questions: What do the numbers on the screen mean and why should I care?
When: Tuesday, September 24 starting at 7:00 PM
Where: Blue Planet shop
Simply Free. Buy any qualifying* Aqua Lung Regulator & BCD, and get a FREE Octopus or Airsource!
- Excludes the Aqua Lung Calypso Regulator, Wave BCD, and All Aqua Lung Packages. Offer valid August 15, 2019 – October 31, 2019 or while supplies last at participating Aqua Lung retailers in the U.S and Canada. Not valid with any other specials or promotions.
- For the octopus, you will get the matching octopus for the regulator that you purchased. For example, if you buy a Legend regulator, you get the Legend Octopus or a free Airsource.
- This offer extends to Apeks too!
Join the Blue Planet Stream Team in cleaning up our adopted portion of Rock Creek Park as part of the Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup!
WHEN: Sunday, September 22 from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
WHERE: Meet up in the parking lot across from Peirce Mill on Tilden Street right before it crosses Beach Drive and turns into Park Road. It’s about a 15-20 minute walk from the Cleveland Park Metro station.
WHAT TO BRING: Wear comfortable clothes and shoes (you may get wet). Bring yard gloves if you have them. And don’t forget water — in a reusable container, of course.
IMPORTANT: Please click here to be directed to an online waiver which all attendees must complete!
Become a Master Scuba Diver and you could win a dive vacation!
Become a PADI® Master Scuba Diver™ and join the best of the best in recreational scuba diving. A Master Scuba Diver rating places you among an elite group in which fewer than 2% of divers ever join. Your Master Scuba Diver Card is proof that you’ve invested significant time in your dive training, accumulating scuba experiences and skills that allow you to maximize your potential and ability for underwater exploration and adventure.
To take the challenge, earn your PADI Master Scuba Diver Rating from August 1, 2019 to November 30, 2019 and you could win a dream dive vacation at any Beaches Resort with locations in Jamaica (Ocho Rios & Negril) and Turks & Caicos.
The prize package includes:
- Luxurious accommodations for 2 adults and 2 kids (age 15 and under)
- Unlimited 5-Star Global Gourmet Dining at world-class restaurants
- Unlimited Premium Liquors & Wines
- Daily & Nightly Entertainment with beach parties, stage shows, live bands & more!
- Unrivaled Land & Watersports including daily scuba diving for certified divers.
- Free Wi-Fi, All Tips & Resort Taxes, Beaches Airport Transfers & more!
View official rules for more details. (Coming soon!)
How do you become a Master Scuba Diver?
Blue Planet has raised the stakes for Master Scuba Diver hopefuls…
Earn your Master Scuba Diver rating with Blue Planet between January 1, 2019-December 1, 2019 and you’ll be entered to win a Suunto EON Core dive computer!
Feeling inspired by Shark Week? Come to this special talk by Dr. David Shiffman to learn more about sharks, the threats they face and how we can help protect them as divers.
Dr. David Shiffman is a marine conservation biologist studying sharks, and an award winning conservation biologist. He’s written for the “Washington Post” and “Scientific American” and has a monthly column in “SCUBA Diving” magazine. Follow him on Twitter @whysharksmatter where he’s always happy to answer any questions anyone has about sharks.
When: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 starting at 7:00 PM
Where: Rosemary’s Thyme Bistro (1801 18th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009)
Interested in our upcoming adventures? Curious what a Blue Planet trip is like? Or maybe you need help planning your own getaway? Join us to learn more about our trips scheduled for the rest of 2019 and beyond.
When: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 starting at 6:30 PM
Where: Rosemary’s Thyme Bistro (1801 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20009)