Advanced Open Water
Exploration, excitement, experiences — they are what the Advanced Open Water Diver course is all about. And no, you do not have to be an “advanced” scuba diver to take it — it is designed so you can go straight into it after the PADI Open Water Diver Course.
The Advanced Open Water Diver course helps you increase your confidence and build your scuba skills so that you can become more comfortable in the water and experience different types of diving. This is a great way to get more dives under your belt while continuing to learn under the supervision of your PADI instructor. This course builds on what you have already learned and develops new capabilities by introducing you to new activities and new ways to have fun diving.
You will hone your skills by completing five adventure dives that introduce you to:
- Underwater navigation
- Deep diving (typically anywhere from 18-30 meters / 60-100 feet)
- And three elective Adventure Dives that you select with your instructor based on your interests
One reason you will love the Advanced Open Water Diver course is that you and your instructor choose from various Adventure Dives to complete your course. You can try your hand at photography, wreck diving, night diving, peak performance buoyancy, and much more.
What You Learn
The knowledge and skills you acquire in the Advanced Open Water Diver course will vary based on the adventures you choose, but every student will learn:
- Practical aspects of deep diving
- Physiological effects of deeper scuba diving
- More ways to use your underwater compass
- How to navigate using kick-cycles, visual landmarks and time
- How to better use your dive computer and eRDPml
- And much, much more depending on the Adventure Dives you choose
- Minimum age: 12 (12-14 year olds can earn a Junior Advanced Open Diver certification)
- Certified as a PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
- Standard dive equipment
- Dive knife/tool
- Additional equipment may be required for certain elective dives, e.g., underwater dive light and tank light if doing a night dive, digital camera for photography dives, etc.
- PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
- Adventures in Diving slate
- $345 includes all materials and five open water dives with instructor. Travel/entry fees to wherever the course is held are not included. Rental gear is available.